Friday, December 18, 2015

Debugging Gender Binary

Source: https://cdn3.dogonews.com/pictures/3626/content/kobianxin_0220606250913406301818.jpg?1285699722


Have you ever yelled at a navigation A.I. for giving you misleading or otherwise poor directions? I have fond memories of hearing my mother yell at what she dubbed the "Nav Lady" back when the screen in our Toyota Sienna was working. I can still hear the smooth, well-articulated words of the Nav Lady's voice emanating from the speakers to alert the driver of an impending turn, only to be met by a witty retort from whoever was at the wheel.

It was kinda weird. No, not my mom's name for this disembodied voice as if it's a sentient being. I meant the voice of the nav system. The tone was so...sultry. Euuugh. Trust me. Android's nav voice and Siri definitely sound more impersonal, which I appreciate.

But I digress.

In an article on The Atlantic's website titled "We Need a New Pronoun for Artificial Intelligence," author Kaveh Waddell imagines a future where the existence of artificial entities demands a third-person pronoun with which to refer to these A.I. Waddell suggests that the implied gender of an A.I. helps humans acclimate to the presence of A.I. because it is generally a shared quality with humans to identify as male or female. As humans become more intimately familiar with technology and artificially intelligent technology becomes more prevalent, the assignment of a male or female gender to a A.I. would be obsolete. An A.I. will be commonplace enough to merit his/her/its own third person pronoun. Waddell believes 'it' to be inadequate, and 'he' and 'she' aren't quite correct.

There are two examples the author pointed out from popular media that I find interesting. In the case of A.I. featured in films such as Her, the A.I. is clearly a female stock character meant to entice a male protagonist. However, often when we encounter non-specifically gendered A.I. such as R2-D2, who arguably shows more intelligence than some sentient beings in the universe (lookin' at yousa, Jar-Jar), the default action can be to go to male pronouns. When you think about it, it's not a very informed decision; R2-D2 speaks in nonspecific bloops and bleeps, and there aren't any real anatomical clues to speak of (I hope).

I believe the assertion held by the author holds merit, but it will depend on the extent to which humans can develop thoughtful A.I. If we indeed see anthropoid robots become more prevalent in the home, at work, or on the street, it seems fitting to be able to refer to a highly functioning "thing" in recognition of [its] greater capacity. However, I find it unlikely that it will matter a great deal to the A.I. how someone recognizes [its] gender, unless some programmer finds his/herself quite bored one day and decides, "You know what? I need to blow off some steam. I think I'll program something I can sit here and offend all day." More likely, I believe, is that more people will grow up around artificial intelligence as they play larger roles throughout one's life, and a new pronoun designation will naturally take hold.

That is, if we can decide on one. Hey, if the Swedes can do it, so can we.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it does not matter what the gender is to the technology how it recognizes the AI. I think that they should have both male and female voices because some people prefer male or female voices. I think that we do not need a gender neutral voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a topic that often gets overlooked. And though many may argue that it is not that important with the big picture of AI, I think it actually does affect human's interactions with AI. Also, this brings up the question of why we create AI to match human intelligence. Why is man the measure of all things? The being is only intelligent if it acts like a human. But AI could have much higher potential and could surpass humans in many ways. So I agree that instead of deciding which human to mimic from its voice and the pronoun used, we should instead perhaps create this new pronoun to eliminate the necessary comparison to humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back at this now, since Catherine's comment drew my attention back to it, I do think I have something to say. This idea that AI could have its own pronoun isn't all that weird. In a lot of languages, there are multiple classes of nouns that demand different words to refer to them. The most familiar example may be the "gender" assigned to all nouns in many European languages, but other languages have systems that assign words by other classifications--like size, shape, whether something is sentient or not, etc. So some languages may be better equipped for this already, and it wouldn't really be that strange for English to pick something up too. (Although there is a lot of resistance already to non-gendered pronouns for sentient things: "they" has been a gender-neutral singular pronoun since at least Chaucer's time, but look at how people react to that!)

    ReplyDelete